CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tianjin

Nothing too exciting has really happened since my last post. Just trying to get both Owen and Cackie adjusted to all of the recent changes. Yesterday, after Cackie's nap, and Deanna, Michael & Owen returned from the police station, we went for a walk around Tianjin with Helen. We went on some side streets, where we saw a bit more "culture". I have included some pictures from the walk.




I think he was hauling garbage.


Some locals, just hanging out by the street.




The flag of China.


Where to buy produce & other dry goods.

We even saw what we thought was an illegal massage parlor, if ya know what I mean. Helen confirmed this for us, but sorry...it didn't feel right to get a picture of that. Ha ha!

We stopped at a park beside our hotel. Cackie & Owen got to run around and we got to see some beautiful flowers. Cackie pointed out the beautiful yellow roses. I told her that Lao Lao - my mom - used to grow yellow roses when mommy & Aunt Caryn were little. In the park, we also saw a group of men playing a card game. Of course, we couldn't understand what they were saying or what game was being played, but they slammed a plastic bottle against the concrete table every so often. Some pictures of the park...







We then went over a bridge into another part of the city. This gave us a beautiful view of a HUGE ferriswheel beside our hotel...15 stories high! On the bridge, I was also able to capture a picture of the amount of bikes in this city! So many people ride bikes and travel on the same roads as cars. With the amount of traffic, it is really a wonder that they don't get run over! We have somewhat gotten the knack of crossing the streets. It's all about timing...trying to dart in & out of traffic, because they WILL NOT stop for you! They simply honk! I hope I remember not to dart into traffic when I return home.





After we made our way across the bridge and crossing streets, we went to a restaurant for dinner. Cackie has really been practicing her chopsticks skills and finally got a shrimp! Look how surprised she was! She spent too much time trying to show everybody what she did that she dropped it before she got it in her mouth. Surprisingly, I have also mastered my chopstick skills. The only time I have used a real fork since we've been here has been with breakfast.


After we walked back to the hotel, Michael went to go get our clean laundry and Deanna & I attempted to give Owen & Cackie a bath. Cackie got in with no problem. However, Owen still seems to have a fear of this and became very upset. He laughed when he saw Cackie do it, but still resisted to come near the water. We're going to try the pool this afternoon, so we'll see how that goes!

Because Owen was a little upset last night, Cackie ended up falling asleep with me. I think she has adjusted to the time well, especially since she's been getting her naps in. She slept until about 7 am today! She told me she beat me, because I guess it was a race to see who could sleep the longest!


Today has been a low key day. It is very overcast and cool outside. We met Robert, the American orphanage volunteer, for lunch. It was very interesting to talk to him and to hear things about the adoption process that we didn't already know. He has been here for 8 years and is fluent in Chinese. I wish I could be! We also learned some things from him about the care Owen received when he was in his kindergarten class that he would come to at the orphanage (he actually stayed with a foster family). Robert is also an English teacher at a private school here, so it was interesting to hear him talk about that too. Overall, it is very special what he does and we admire him greatly. After lunch, the kiddos settled down for a nap and like I said, we are planning a trip to the pool this afternoon.

Here are some other random, but fun, pictures I wanted to include.


Waiting at one of the offices where we had to do some paperwork.


Too cute!


Cackie loves her little brother (most of the time).


Helen, communicating with Owen.

Until next time....

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some cute kids! It may take them some adjusting, but I think they are going to be like peas and carrots :).