CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Earthquake

Most of you already know that we are okay and have not been affected by the earthquake that hit China on Monday, as I sent several emails out. The earthquake hit Sichuan province, which is northwest of where we are in Guangzhou/Shamian Island. It happened about 2:30 p.m. local time. We were napping with the kids at that time, so did not know about it until much later. It was not all over the news here (except for CNN) like it probably was in the U.S. It seems that our government and media makes that kind of information more available to Americans than they do here. The news that we have seen has been very sad though. Although they say that there have been reports of tremors all through the country, we did not feel any here.

Aside from the frequent discussions about the earthquake, Deanna & I have also spent most of the day shopping, shopping, shopping! One of our journeys off of the island was to the Pearl Market, where we bought some turqouise beads and pearls that my mom asked for. Get ready to make more jewelry mom! I also got a great deal for some real pearl earrings and a necklace for myself.

In between shopping trips, the kids had their infamous White Swan "Red Couch" photos. Cackie appears much happier this time than last, as she was throwing a fit in her last red couch photo when she was 10 months old. We haven't downloaded these yet, so I will have to share later.

After shopping, we got the kids, met up with our friends we met in Beijing, the Slack's, and went to dinner at an awesome Thai restaurant. Deanna raved about the broccoli from her last visit, and now I see why! We also tried deep fried pumpkin, and I must say that it was quite delicious! I was stuffed when we left!

After we set the kids up to watch a video and got them ready for bed, Deanna & I went back out to finish up some last minute shopping. Shopaholics, right? Really, things are more reasonably priced here than at home, so we made out quite well!

Sorry, I don't have any fun pictures to share right now. I just wanted to make sure to get a post out to keep everyone updated. Just 1 more day left before hours, hours, hours & hours of travel!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We're so glad that your trip wasn't affected by the earthquake; of course we feel for everyone that was. Your email that all was well yesterday really helped calm my nerves. I guess it's good that you're just like Dad - asleep when something exciting happens!!! LOL!!! :o)

Ooooooo!!! Pearls & Turquoise! I can't wait to see & touch them. Now I also know that I have to finish what is on my CURRENT To-Do list before I get to play with them. Also can't wait to see what else you've been buying. Remember the art of bargaining that Helen taught you!

Most importantly, we're one more day closer to when we get to see the five of you and give Welcome Home hugs & kisses to everyone. Enjoy. Enjoy! ENJOY!!!!!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I apologize for not leaving a comment sooner, I guess I have been self consumed, but please be assured that even though I have not outwardly expressed it, you all have been on my mind!
Am so glad to hear everyone is safe! Have enjoyed reading your adventure!. I am sooooo jealous!
Reading about all the yummy food makes me hungry!
Love the pictures, Cackie is a real imp and Owen has such a sweet face.
Love to you all, Hope the long trip back home goes quickly.
Aunt Vicki